WORLD Recognizes National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2016

“A great nation is a compassionate nation.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. February is Black History Month, but February 7th is National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day. In 2016, this is the year that we, as a community, need to open our eyes, our hearts, and our mouths to see the Oakland around us. We need to open our eyes …

World AIDS Day: A Personal Perspective

A message from WORLD Executive Director Cynthia Carey-Grant: I am My Brother’s Keeper I am My Brother’s Keeper This World AIDS Day, I want to commemorate the life of my younger brother Garrith, whom I lost to AIDS related complications, by challenging some divisive societal stereotypes and myths about HIV in the black community. It is the love for my …

16th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance

Today, WORLD joins the nation in commemorating the 16th annual Transgender Day of Remembrance. We can begin by saying the names of those whose deaths have been recorded this year in the United States: Papi Edwards Lamia Beard Ty Underwood Yazmin Vash Payne Taja Gabrielle De Jesus Penny Proud Kristina Gomez Reinwald, Keyshia Blige London Chanel Mercedes Williamson India Clarke …

Update: Nilda Rodriguez’ Recovery

As we mentioned several weeks ago, beloved WORLD activist Nilda Rodriguez was hospitalized as a result of a serious automobile accident. We are happy to report that she is getting better. Although this is great news, we can assist in her recovery by making visits to see her as well as contributing financially to help cover medical expenses. Nilda is …

WORLD’s Office Is Moving!

Effective starting December 1, 2015, the WORLD office will be in a new location. We’re looking forward to seeing you there once we move! OUR NEW ADDRESS: 389 30th Street, Oakland, CA 94612 Until we move, you can still reach us here: Address: 449 15th Street, Oakland, CA 94612 Phone: (510) 986-0340                 …

Latina Health and Wellness Day: Saturday, November 21

Latina Health and Wellness Day Join WORLD for FREE food, prizes, music, and family fun as we launch L.O.U.D. (Latina Outreach and Understanding Division). Join us for our first annual community health and wellness day for Latina Women.   Honoring Agripina Alejandres in her new role as a Medical Case Manager at our partner agency La Clinica and WORLD’s …